Don’t have enough time to check your social networks daily? Do you remember when only Messenger existed? The first accounts created on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social networks had a personal objective, like keeping touch with family, friends, colleagues or people who you wouldn’t be in contact with otherwise. However, little by little, social networks have evolved and found some room in the professional world. More and more companies check social network profiles before hiring new staff or carry out surveys amongst their followers (specially Twitter).
- 1 What is Twitter: What is it for and what can it do for you?
- 2 Twitter Business Account: How to Create It
- 3 Choosing a Twitter User Name
- 4 Common Mistakes to Avoid when Creating Your Twitter Business Account
- 5 Measure and Analyze your Twitter Account
What is Twitter: What is it for and what can it do for you?
Before creating your account on a social network, especially if you’re thinking of creating a Twitter account, you should think about what it is for and how you want to use it. The same as with other social networks, the first impression of your account and profile will show your contacts what you do and basically, who you are. Everything that you publish on your Twitter profile will be visible to the whole world so always think twice what you are going to post. Also consider that it will reflect your identity or that of your company’s if you’re thinking about creating an account to boost your business.
Starting a Twitter account is becoming very trendy within professional environments. With a Twitter account, you will introduce your image as a professional or as a company to a larger audience and at the same time, you’ll improve yourvisibility or that of your business’ onthe Internet since you’ll be using new ways of transmitting your information. So, are you interested in creating a Twitter business account? Here we will explain how to establish a Twitter account step by step.
Let’s clear matters up. If you are one of those who are not familiar with Twitter yet, this brief guideline of Twitter slang will be very useful.
- Tweet: To write a tweet, any text up to 140 characters that you’re willing to share.
- Retweet: To share a tweet posted by another person and show it on your Twitter profile. When you retweet you can either share the tweet (Retweet or RT) or Quote Tweet. When you quote tweet you can add a comment as an introduction and bellow the tweet that you quoted.
- Twitter Followers: Users who follow your Twitter account so they can see your tweets in their personal timeline.
- Hashtag #: What is a hashtag? A word or string of words with no spaces preceded by the pound symbol (#) that it’s used to identify specific topics. The more interactions received, the better possibilities to gain visibility. With Metricool you can also measure a hashtag.
- Trending Topic or TT: Terminology that refers to those topics receiving more comments and attention than others on the social network in a specific period of time. Something can be a Trending Topic for just few days, hours or even minutes. A TT can be generated in a specific country or at a global level.
- Unfollower: when a user decides to stop following a particular account
- Twitter Verified Account: It’s identified by a blue badge and indicates that an account from a business or person is authentic.
Twitter Business Account: How to Create It
As we mentioned before, creating a Twitter account for your company means being able to reach a larger number of users, introducing your business to a greater audience and meeting other professionals from the same sector facilitating future collaborations or simply maintaining contact. So now that you learned the basic slang for this social network, it’s time to start creating your company’s Twitter account.
Sign Up on Twitter
The first step to create a Twitter account is entering the platform. Write in your usual web search www.twitter.com or simply twitter.com. You’ll be automatically redirected to Twitter home page.
Account registration: If you are new to Twitter you will have to press on the “sign up” button. Then you will have to fill in your full name, phone or email and password. Remember that, in order to increase the security of your account, the password should contain letters and numbers and if possible, it should be new. So, don’t reuse the password from other social networks or online apps.
Option 1: Using your Email to Register
After filling in all the fields and choosing to add your email instead of your phone, you’ll have to press the sign up button to continue. On the next screen, you will have to introduce your phone number. You can choose to skip this step to choose your user name.
You will automatically receive a confirmation to the email previously provided. Go to your inbox and confirm your Twitter account.
Option 2: Using your Phone to Register
Fill in your info, introducing your phone number instead of your email. Then press sign up and you will have to introduce the code that you receive on your phone.
Don’t worry, your phone number won’t appear on your profile unless you add it to your biography, covered in the next steps. Twitter use it to verify your identity and make sure you are not a robot.
As we indicated earlier, if you prefer you can introduce your email instead.
Choosing a Twitter User Name
Choosing a user name is one of the most important steps when you are creating your Twitter account. The user name must identify either you as a professional or your company. It might happen that your first option is already taken by another user so be patient and don’t make the mistake of adding a string of numbers after the name you have chosen. Take your time and make sure that you find the best name possible to represent you or your company.
However, if you decided to use the name that Twitter suggested, breathe easy, you can change your name any time and as much as you want.
Try to find an original and attractive Twitter user name, always keeping in mind that it should represent your business. For example, you shouldn’t use the name ‘secret muffin’, when your company sells towels. You could opt to use the real name of your company always considering that the name can’t contain more than 20 characters. The ideal is to find a short name that is easy to remember. Try to be original without using words too unusual. Use a name related to your brand or type of business to the extent possible.
Find followers on Twitter
Before finishing the process of creating your Twitter account, you will be asked to follow a minimum number of people. Luckily, there are millions of people with a Twitter account so it won’t be too difficult to find someone to follow.
From a business perspective, we advise you to follow users that can add value or be of any interest to your company. For example, you can choose followers of a specific category or group, so it will be easier to follow users and professionals related to your activity. Science and Technology, TV and Movies, Politics and Government, Sports, Music or Entertainment are some of the groups of interest that you can access.
Twitter Profile Photo
It’s not mandatory to add a profile picture, however, it’s highly recommended if you want to make a good impression for your business or companies. You can upload a photo or an image of your company or logo, so you will be easily identified by potential clients.
Neglecting to include a photo on your account profile doesn’t show transparency or credibility and it will make it more difficult to reach your potential clients or followers. If you have doubts about what the size of your profile picture should be, click here.Don’t leave your photo empty . You will lose credibility and trust. Click to Tweet. Click To Tweet
Your Twitter bio is also very important and you should focus on this part. You want to boost your company, emphasize the value that your business can add or what it makes it different from others. Don’t forget to introduce a URL (website, blog, LinkedIn profile, about me) so your potential audience can easily access your info or that of your company.
After completing all the previous steps to create your Twitter account, you can easily access your recently created profile and log in whenever you want. As we explained before, to get the most out of Twitter, you should have followers and follow professionals that you are really interested in.
You can synchronize your Twitter account with your email accounts or your accounts in other social networks. For example, you can link your new Twitter account to your email accounts like Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook or AOL, so if one of your contacts has a Twitter account, they will appear so you can follow them.
Common Mistakes to Avoid when Creating Your Twitter Business Account
There is a common mistake when users are creating their Twitter account. Many users feel comfortable when they complete all the steps that we just mentioned before, completely forgetting about how to manage their account and put it into use. If you want to promote you or your company professionally we advise thatyou:
- Often enter your Twitter account: See all the new notifications from the people you follow, find new followers and keep your profile updated with relevant info about your business.
- Follow and you will be followed: Be open to follow other companies and professionals that are related to you and that of your business. Find strategic collaborators.
- Comment and interact: Twitter is a social network between people. Interact and you will get better visibility and more contacts.
- Use Twitter wisely: Respond to all mentions or questions that you receive from your followers, don’t abuse Retweets or the Hashtagand offer a variety of content (always related to your company). These are some tips that will help you get the most out of your Twitter account.
In short, a business account on Twitter shows your more professional side. However, remember to alwaysbe yourself and display that authenticity that makes you unique.
Measure and Analyze your Twitter Account
Now that you have a Twitter account for your company, use tools to analyze and know when your targeted users are more active, monitor what has been said about your business on Twitter or find out when it’s best to tweet. These will be aspects of vital importance to reach a larger number of people.
With Metricool, you can measure the current situation of your published content on Twitter and analyze, manage and measure the success of your tweets. All this, in one place, where you have access to web analytics, blog content, analysis of your social networks (not just Twitter) and other tools. Click here to learn more.
Remember that creating a Twitter account can help you gain more clients, improve your brand’s visibility and notoriety. Don’t be afraid, create your profile and start tweeting, find followers and interact with others. Discover the reach of Twitter and tell us your username so we can follow you!