Like most websites, we use own and third party cookies for analytical purposes and to show you personalised advertising or based on your browsing habits.
Generally, the information does not directly identify you, but can provide you with a more personalised web experience. Because we respect your right to privacy, you may choose not to allow us to use certain cookies. However, blocking some types of cookies may affect your experience on the site and the services we can offer.
Also known as Meta Ads Manager, this is an all-in-one tool for creating and managing your Facebook and Instagram ads. As social media ads continue to be integrated into strategies, Facebook Ads Manager is another mechanism in which you can regulate and run your social media ads.
Before I dive into how this works, you’re probably wondering, what is Facebook Ads Manager and how does it work? Let me tell you.
What is Facebook Ads Manager?
Facebook Ads Manager is a central hub for your Facebook and Instagram ads, where you can create and manage your campaigns and analyze their results.
If you’re looking to grow your business or brand, Facebook Ads Manager will help you build smart and effective campaigns, targeted towards your specific audience.
Facebook Ads Manager features include:
- Create new campaigns
- Manage advertising campaigns
- Changing your ad budget
- Setting and adjusting your target audience
- Tracking your campaign performance
- Testing your ad campaigns
After campaigns have been launched, you can edit or change details without a problem. Facebook Ads manager is available both on desktop and mobile versions, making it easy to launch ads from any place and time.
Getting started with Facebook Ads Manager
Now that you’re somewhat familiar with the purpose of Facebook Ads manager, I’m going to explain how you can find this platform and set up your account.
First things first, you must create a Facebook Business Manager account. In order to do this, you need to have a personal Facebook account. After creating your account, you will be prompted to enter in details such as the name of your business, work email address and your name.
Now, before creating a campaign, you must manage at least one Facebook page. Once you have a page, you will automatically have an Ads Manager account. Remember that this Facebook page should be associated with your Business Manager account, so you can access everything properly.
Lastly, you need to enable advertising access on your account. To do this:
- Open Business Manager Settings
- Go to People and Assets, and click on “Ad Accounts”
- Select “Add New Ad Accounts” and then “Create a New Ad Account”
You will then be prompted to enter in your payment and billing information.
Creating your Facebook Ads
You have now officially set up your advertising headquarters! Within this platform, you will have access to all features of Facebook Ads Manager, to create and manage your social media ads. Your dashboard should look like this:
Here comes the best part, creating your ad! If you’re ready to launch your first campaign, follow these following steps and get down to work with perfecting that ad.
To create an ad, click on the green icon labeled, “Create.”
Choose an Ad Objective
After selecting “Create”, open a new window, “Create new campaign.” This is where you will set an objective for your campaign from the following categories:
- Awareness: Create brand awareness, increase reach, increase video views.
- Traffic: Increase traffic to an online destination (Facebook or Instagram shop, business website, app).
- Engagement: Increase engagement of your business online, increase video views, messages and reach potential customers.
- Leads: Collect leads for your business through messages, phone calls or sign ups.
- App promotion: Get people to install or take action within your app.
- Sales: Increase conversions and catalog sales.
After selecting your campaign objective, you will be asked to name the campaign. Make sure this is clear and easy to understand for your audience.
Set your campaign budget
Now it’s time to choose how much you want to spend on your ad. The figure that you enter is the maximum amount of money you are willing to spend for the campaign. There are two different ways to set your budget:
- Daily: This is a limit of how much you spend each day on your ads. From here, Facebook will find the right place and time to show your campaign to the targeted audience. After the limit has been reached, the ad will end for that day and will start over the next day.
- Lifetime: This is the budget for the entirety of the campaign. After giving an end date to your campaign, the money will be spent based on ad performance. Once all the money is spent, your campaign will end.
Establish your Target Audience
So that Facebook can present your ads to the right group, you will next set your target audience. Thus, you will need to customize the following demographics:
If you want to choose advanced targeting, go to the Connections settings and from here you can include or exclude specific people or communities, such as those connected to certain pages, events, apps, etc.
Determine Ad Placements
In this next step, you will choose where your ad will appear for your audience. These placements can include Facebook, Instagram, Messenger or the Audience Network.
You can also use automatic placements, where Facebook chooses placements in order to achieve maximum results at the lowest average cost. Alternatively, you can also choose your own placements, including the following options:
- Feeds: Facebook Feed, Instagram Feed, Facebook Marketplace, Facebook video feeds, Facebook right column, Facebook Business explore, Instagram explore, Instagram shop, Messenger Inbox.
- Stories and Reels: Facebook Stories, Instagram Stories, Messenger Stories, Instagram Reels, Facebook Reels
- In-stream video and reels: Facebook in-stream videos, ads on Facebook Reels
- Search: Facebook Search Results
- Messages: Messenger sponsored messages
- In-article: Facebook Instant Articles
- Audience Network: Banner ads, native ads, video ads
Create your ad
Here is where you can finally let your creativity fly! In this final section, you will be creating the face of your campaign. You can either do this from an existing post, or by starting from scratch.
If you decide to use an existing post, simply select “Use Existing Post” and then choose the post you want to use as your ad.
To create a new ad, you first need to select a format, from the eight available ad formats. These options include:
- Photo Ads
- Video Ads
- Carousel Ads
- Slideshow Ads
- Messenger Ads
- Collection Ads
- Stories Ads
- Playable Ads
After selecting a format, you will need to enter in the copy and media. Double-check to make sure everything is set how you want it, and when you’re ready, click on “Publish” at the bottom-right of the page.
Before your ad goes live, Facebook has to review it to ensure everything looks good and your content follows community guidelines. Usually this takes no longer than 24 hours and once confirmed, you will receive an email from Facebook saying the ad is live.
After launching your advertisements, you can return to the Account Overview page to view a summary of your ad account and see your ad performance. This dashboard will show key metrics of your active or recent campaigns, as well as other information about your account.
This page will also show alerts, recommendations, campaign trends and any pending tasks.
This tool is useful for analyzing campaign results and understanding more about your audience. You can use this data to tweak your strategy and continue to improve your marketing decisions.
Now you know all about Facebook Ads Manager and how it works, so you can start creating and running productive campaigns for your brand or business.
Want more information about how to excel in marketing on Facebook? Read this guide below 👇👇